Monday, November 22, 2010

Moving Up and On




I met Jake a week before I got married. I remember thinking to myself that he was cute and really cool, and someone I could like. Then I got married. My friend Anna liked him off and on, off and on, off and on. Haha. Jake minored in my major, so we had quite a few classes together...including Theology of Women. That's right. Jake is a feminist. How sexy is THAT? Quite.

Jake was someone I talked to quite a bit about Eric's drinking and stuff while we were in school, and even a bit after we got out. The night of graduation (while Eric was out drinking) I stayed up until 3:30 am knitting Jake a scarf. He was moving to Florida (why I thought he'd need a scarf there is beyond me...), and I thought I would never see him again. I swear to you I didn't have any romantic feelings for him, but he is such a great person and I never really had many guy friends...it was sad to imagine losing him.

My friend Becky had a few classes with us. Here are her thoughts on the subject:
"Yes, yes, tears of joy, yes. I guess I just thought it would be the ultimate fulfillment of destiny for the Prince and Princess of TRS to wind up together."

A little while after I'd left Eric, Jake and I were chatting online. He asked me if I had any single friends for him and I told him Anna was single. He said that she wasn't really his type and, to get a better idea of what is, I asked him what his type is. Here is what he said (that's right. i emailed it to myself. stop judging me, asshole):
16:49Jacob

um...brunette, kind of a hippie, non-judgmental, friendly and has good will toward all people, not consumed with material things...

enjoys the outdoors, kinda low key..
16:50Me

hmm.

Interesting.
16:50Jacob

Someone I can have an educated conversation with!

That's a biggie!

I paused for a second and said to him something like, "Hmm. Interesting. I feel like that's kind of how I would describe myself if I were having a good self-esteem day." And he said something like, "That's how I would describe you, too. There aren't many girls out there like that." Now. Why I didn't just drive up there and jump his bones is beyond me. I'm dumb. Instead we now do this kind of stuff:


[Jacob]
09:02
Like it's impossible to find someone I can have a good laugh with and still have a good intelligent converstation with.
Well at least you're trying Angela!
[You]
09:03
I guess.
You know...I feel the same way.
[Jacob]
09:07
I think when I have more time I'm gonna get a puppy..they always gets the attention of good single women, right? A conversation started ;);)
If not at least i'll have a cute puppy to keep me company.
[You]
09:08
Haha. It would get my attention for sure.
[Jacob]
09:08
See, just the idea is working!
[You]
09:08
But, then again...I would probably go on a date with you even if you didn't have the puppy. :):)
[Jacob]
09:09
Haha, that's very kind of you to say!
[You]
09:10
you're welcome.
[Jacob]
09:12
I haven't been on a date in a long time!

I threw myself out there in the road and he squashed me! Payback, I guess? But later on in the same conversation...

[Jacob]
09:34
it's sp strange. I feel like I'm all alone on some of these perspectives. I was the only one at leaf erickson park this morning watching the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen and I found myself asking, "why are there any other people here." Am I really the only one that values these sort of things?
"aren't"
The whole city should have been there! Where is everybody!?
[You]
09:35
so you just went alone?
[Jacob]
09:35
What are they doing? What are they thinking about?
Yeah, I don't know anyone that gets up at 6am on saturday and sunday :(:(
[You]
09:36
probably most of them were sleeping. or in a college town...a lot of themw ere probably still drunk. :/:/
i used to. I miss it.
i've sort of become hte opposite. i don't know that i like it.
if i were in duluth still i would totally come watch the sunrise with you.
[Jacob]
09:38
And being there alone makes me feel like a loser. But, I'm pretty sure I'm a winner and winners watch the sunrise :):)
[You]
09:38
hahaha. for sure, jake. for sure.
[Jacob]
09:38
Well, next time you're here on a weekend we'll have to do that.
[You]
09:39
:):) deal

We were supposed to do it last weekend! Then a blizzard happened! Then this happened, which made me even more anxious:
Nov. 17th
Jake:
Goodmorning! Are u gonna be in duluth 4 thanksgiving?
Ang:
Hi! No, i work in the morning and then my best friend and her fiance are making dinner. why, what's up?
Ang:
do youhave any family up here? tyler told me i could ask a friend to dinner and i haven't yet. i'm sure they wouldn't mind if you came. : ) i think it'd be fun!
Jake:
Im volunteering at the decc delivering meals. I was gonna see if u wantd to come with.
Ang:
oh, wow. that's awesome, jake! i would totally take you up on that if i didn't work. i've never done that for a holiday. sounds intense. maybe christmas eve?
Jake:
No family here. I'm probably gonna stay in duluth tho. Ive gotta work friday morning : ( and with the thursday volunteering and all...
Jake:
Thanks 4the invite though!
Jake:
Its thru ups for the free tday buffet thats held at the decc every year. It should be fun. Im not sure im gonna be around for 4xmas...


So now we were supposed to do the sunrise yesterday. I was so f'ing nervous. I'd already made chai and scones to take with the first time, so now I made the second batch. Then I sent this message to Becky: "i did NOT burn 2/6 scones. yay. my chai is disgusting. it is 3:17 and i have to work at 10. hahaha. i am ridiculous. i am so nervous-excited i think i might faint when i see him. oh, dear. i got a pair of mustard-colored cords on clearance at old navy for 8 bucks. boy, he is gonna fall in love with me. ; )" To which she replied: "Yay! So you have two scones and nothing to drink...but you have new pants...and freshly waxed legs underneath? Perfect."

Here is the rest of the story, via texting, as i have determined he is not a phone person:

Hey, Jake. Are you awake? : )
Jake:
Yeah, but im in bed. I caught a cold, i feel awful : (
Ang:
oh, sweetie! (<--smooth, right? he's sick, i can say that... : P) that's terrible! do you need something from the drug store? or some emergen-c? i am getting a cold, too, i think.
Jake:
You're too sweet : ) but no thank you. I stalked [<---sic lol] up on supplies after work yesterday. Are you in duluth?
Ang:
Almost. i am running late to my brother's game and i forgot my shower basket. too spacey...
Ang:
let me know if you have a miraculous recovery and want to hang out tomorrow. feel better! i will send you healthy thoughts. : )
At this point my phone ate a text message. I kept hoping it would come back, but it didn't. I hadn't seen who it was from.
Ang:
did you send me another message? my phone ate one awhile ago and i didn't see who it was sent by. haha. sorry. i'll let you sleep. : P
Jake:
I hope u hav fun at ur brothers game n thank you for the healthy thoughts : ) i will definitely call you if i'm feelin better tomorrow.
Jake:
That was the last message i sent you. Have a good nite, drive safe, sleep tight : )

Nov 20th
Ang:
Are you alive? : )
Jake:
Barely. Thank god i got sick over the weekend. Having to go to work like this would have killed me!
Ang:
yeah, feeling lousy at work is the worst. take care of yourself!

Here is my new plan:
Ang:
Are you familiar with mason jennings' music at all?
Jake:
Not really...why?
Ang:
oh, really? you should totally check him out. he is amazing. i met him a couple months ago and told him he is my spiritual guru and got all gusy. haha they
Ang:
have most of his music up on his site. masonjennings.com : )
Jake:
Okay. I will check him out. Thanks : )

I am going to wait a couple days and ask if he has listened to him at all. If he likes him, Mason has a concert here on the 4th. I will say something like, "And, of course, you'd be welcome to stay here...but I only have one bedroom and my love seat is too small for a normal-sized person to sleep on. If you're fine with it, I have a huge bed and you'd be welcome to have a sleepover with Mitzvah (my cat) and me." I'm trying to decide if I should suggest rounding up an air mattress or not...? And if i would put my pjs on in the bathroom? And if I have to work in the morning and he is still sleeping, can i kiss him goodbye on his forehead? OMG. I need to stop analyzing. And I need to see him. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment