Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflections On a Snowy Eve



What is it about the holiday season that makes me feel so good? EVERYthing!

Tonight at work a pleasant couple came in for some soup. They had just bought their tree at the tree spot across the street, whose smell I've been thoroughly enjoying all week, and were enjoying the heavy snowfall. The husband told me that he and his wife had lived in Texas for 10 years and that we are so blessed to have this snow. I told him I have a friend (this would be Jake) whose family lives in Florida and that I'd asked him if he was going there for Christmas and said that I couldn't imagine a tropical Christmas. We laughed and I showed him the picture on my phone of my driveway back home my Mom had sent me the other night with the sun setting behind the snowy trees. While they were eating their soup I surprised them with hot cocoas and said, "I decided that tree shopping and soup eating in a blizzard requires some hot cocoa."

After work I walked to my car, which was parked by the tree place. The Christmas music, the heavy snow, the smell of the trees and the glow of the lights...I just love it. I spent 5 or 6 minutes smiling and brushing all the snow off my car. Then I drove slowly home with the windows rolled down (in a blizzard) and listened to the Christmas carol station.

When I got home my neighbor, Sam, was outside shoveling the parking lot. I left my doors open so we could listen to that Black man with the scratchy voice sing that one Christmas song (really specific, I'm aware) and helped him finish shoveling. Snow brings folks together, I think.

I love winter! I love how everybody is so kind to each other during the holiday season! I love Christmas lights on snow-capped houses! I love seeing dreidels, chocolate coins, and cookies with blue sprinkles for sale! I love the smell of the cold, fresh air outside and catching snowflakes on my tongue, bundling up and my mukluks. I love buying little presents for my Mom's stocking, etc., etc.





Happy 4th Day of Hannukah! Wooowie!

No comments:

Post a Comment